Miami Police Arrest Luis David Lemus in Shooting Death of Locksmith Adrian Venereo in West Miami

Arrest follows fatal hallway shooting near SW 8th Street
Miami police have arrested a 32-year-old man in connection with a fatal shooting that left a locksmith dead at an apartment building in the city’s West Miami area. The arrest comes after officers responded to reports of gunfire Friday evening, Feb. 20, 2026, and found the victim with a gunshot wound to the head.
The victim was identified as 37-year-old Adrian Venereo. He was pronounced dead at the scene by Miami Fire Rescue. Police said the shooting occurred in the area of the 6300 block of Southwest 8th Street, in a hallway on an upper floor of the building.
What investigators say happened before the shooting
Authorities said witness statements and surveillance footage helped shape the initial timeline of events. Investigators reported that the victim was called to the building to help with a lock issue after residents were unable to access an apartment.
Police say a witness told officers he and the suspect had been changing locks on the suspect’s front door and later became locked out, prompting them to contact Venereo, who worked as a locksmith. While Venereo was working on the lock, police allege the suspect shot him in the head.
Police have not publicly identified a motive and the circumstances leading up to the gunfire remain under investigation.
How police identified the suspect
Police stated that a witness at the scene was holding a revolver when officers arrived and indicated the suspected gunman had fled on foot. Investigators said the suspect was later identified using surveillance video and interviews conducted at the scene.
The suspect was identified as Luis David Lemus. Police said he was later detained after officers observed him wearing clothing consistent with what was seen in surveillance footage. He was transported to the Miami Police Homicide Office for questioning, and an arrest report indicates he was subsequently taken into custody.
Charges, custody status, and medical examiner ruling
Lemus faces a second-degree murder charge. Jail records list the charge as second-degree murder with a deadly weapon. He is being held at the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center, where bond was listed as to be set pending court proceedings.
The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner determined Venereo died from a gunshot wound to the head and ruled the manner of death a homicide.
What remains unknown
- Investigators have not released a confirmed motive.
- Police have not disclosed whether additional witnesses were present in the hallway at the time of the shooting.
- Court records will determine scheduling for bond and subsequent hearings.
The investigation remains active as detectives continue to review evidence and interview witnesses.

Sun, Sizzle, and Sunday: Your Miami Morning Briefing

Miami Official Roundup: Public Health Alerts and City Service Notices
South Beach Delays Expected for SOBEWFF Finale; Nightly SR-836 Closures to Begin Sunday Night
